Friday, April 22, 2011

New town, new faces, new experiences…
About 3 weeks ago I moved from Kudamatsu to Fukuyama. Fukuyama is about a 3 hour`s drive by highway east along the coast from Kudamatsu. There`s many reasons why I moved, and I`m happy with my decision. While I live in a bigger city (around a population of 460,000), I teach in the town next to it, which has a smaller population of 58,000. I enjoy the many things to do and see in a bigger town, but I also like the environment and attitude of the smaller town, especially job-wise. Here`s some highlights:
Big town Fukuyama
Many libraries… with an English book section!
So many restaurants to try, and the variety is wider
The shopping… also has more variety, and a Gap
Big scale festivals. Fukuyama has a Rose festival in May I want to go to
Fukuyama has a castle
Better public transit and to more places
Usually a bit warmer than the rural, mountainous areas

Small town Kasaoka
Beauty of nature, including mountain views
Not as crowded and full of traffic jams
2 words: island beaches
More relaxing atmosphere
Smaller class sizes for me to teach
An international exchange group
Less people means less names for me to memorize

Living in a bigger city means more internationalization. In a metropolis like Tokyo, you`ll see more translated into English, more foreigners, and more places adapted for them. If you`re looking to live a more traditional Japanese lifestyle and learn Japanese day-to-day survival-style, the countryside is better. I`m glad I have the opportunity to live in a mid-sized city yet experience the culture of a smaller part of Japan. While I have pangs of jealousy for those who live in the big metropolises, where they have endless selection of things to do, see, and eat, I`m content to live a slower, more inexpensive life where I can focus my study of Japan and its language.
I have a total of 3 junior high schools. My main school`s total amount of students is about 400 students, and the other two are 18 and 7, respectively. The school with 7 total is on an island, so once a week I`ll be riding a ferry for about 30-40 minutes to this small island, where I`ll be teaching in a school with a beautiful beach view from the windows:

The 18 student school is also on a shore of a former mountainous island. The water between the mainland and the island was filled in and converted to farms for food crops a long time ago. Even though this school is now part of the mainland, it`s tucked by the seaside and surrounded by mountains. The area boasts that it has over 88 small shrines scattered about the mountains. While my main school doesn`t have unique surroundings, it makes up with a big student body and many activities and opportunities. Having only 3 schools gives me the chance to visit all my schools more often, and interact with the students/teachers more, for which I`m very happy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy for you Ashley! Sounds like you picked a very nice place to move out to. That is so cool that one of your schools is on an island! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...